Saturday, November 14, 2009

More Adventure of the Montserrat Day Trip

ahh, so here we are on the dock at Nevis, waiting to board the boat. The day proceeds. The trip was planned for a group of highschoolers and there was extra space so Hope Nevis sold tickets as a fund raiser. Unfortunately these students appear to be quite seasick, as there are about six lined up along the boat at any given time actively vomiting. Ick. Plus we all know teenagers are obnoxious anyway. But these are Kittitians so crank the obnoxious disrespectful attitude up a few hundred notches. They are loud and forgive me, but you know what I mean when I say I am sensing BO all day long. Yummy. Boat trip takes about 2 hours. Montserrat is the first island you reach when you travel south of St Kitt's & Nevis. It's about 32 square miles. Although all of these islands are of volcanic origin, Montserrat has a highly active one: Soufriere Hills volcano. In fact, 50% of the island as well as surrounding coastal areas are considered unsafe zones. This is currently British territory and is called the Emerald Isle of the Caribbean because of its lush, verdant nature and Irish tendencies. We hit Port of this island and unloaded from the boat. Chaos ensues. They do not recognize lines anywhere around here. Customs and Immigration is a little hut where we all cram in. I have my bag, passport, and customs for held high but I'm in a sea of loud, sweaty Kittitians. Somehow we emerge on the other side and wander off to find a taxi. The day continues as a wild tour of Montserrat, culminating in an exhausting but beautiful boat ride home. Photos to come shortly. Back to studying.

bye for now

lkc

No comments:

Post a Comment