Today I am grateful that my gonads are located conveniently inside my body. I took a serious beating trimming my new herd. These horses are coddled by students who are interested in small animal. Each week they have a different student SOAPing, so they don't have consistency, plus the students are scared of them so they get away with everything. It's so frustrating - horses are too large and too dangerous to be allowed to walk all over people! The horses got irritated, I got furious, and it escalated. Finally Bossa hauled off and nailed my pubic symphysis. (GODDAMN YOU MOTHER*%3#$ PIECE OF...) you get the idea. I immediately lost my patience. Looking around to be sure no one was watching closely, I hauled off and beat that damn horse with my rasp. I doubt he'll be kicking me ever again. This was after I avoided having my head bashed in by Chocolate and Kassara.
Welcome to podiatry, Lydia. Luckily, Mike taught me a trick or two on how to handle spoiled rotten and nasty attitude horses without getting myself killed. It was ugly. Three of them are angels, 2 are demons, and the rest are ok. Everyone's got white line disease and I dug out as much as I could but I have to be conservative for fear that these ponies get sore. Then I certainly won't be allowed to continue if they turn up lame. For now, everyone is trimmed up and relatively sound. Plus it's 105 degrees, I'm wearing coveralls (hell), and the hoof knife they gave me is more like a butter knife. Not helpful. I will return in January with my knife and apron. Maybe I'll sneak some chemical restraint for those boys next time. I got slung all over the damn barn and was chasing feet with my rasp all morning. Excellent way to be reminded of how much I love horses and their feet. Maybe it's crazy, but I keep coming back for more.
After I collapsed into the lecture hall for a Physio TA session this am, I headed down to the ocean and peeled off my drenched clothes. The waves were as rough as I've ever seen the Caribbean side of the island, which makes it about as rough as normal high tide Atlantic. Nevertheless, once my friend arrived I dove into the sea once again, grinning and giggling with delight. It's been 2.5 weeks since I've been in the water! I see it everyday but can't go in. Beth laid out in the sun while I frolicked around in the waves, letting my body float around and watched the waves I rode crash into the shore. Being in the ocean is clearly my island equivalent of riding. I haven't had time to dive, but there is a two-tank coming up. Hopefully the camera will be working again for that one. After an hour of swimming we headed back to make lunch and hit the library - big micro test tomorrow.
bye for now
lkc
No comments:
Post a Comment