Saturday, October 17, 2009

Had Wuk Pas Off...Jus B Humble

Today we drove by Best Buy, one of the grocery stores and a man with his little grocery bag jumped onto his horse, grabbed his stick, whacked his flanks and ambled on down the road. They do not mount the horses here: they do a froggie hop with both legs kicked out onto the horse's back. Maybe I should rethink the car and invest in a trusty steed instead.

Last weekend a few friends and I were driving home from the Marriott and popped a tired. Not uncommon around here since the roads are pitted and covered in gravels, nails, broken glass, and who knows what else. But at 9:45pm in Basseterre, three young attractive white girls are not exactly inconspicuous. I was on the phone with security immediately, who came to help us change the tire within minutes. In the meantime, locals crawled out of the woodwork to ask if we had a flat and needed help. Not the help we were exactly looking for. Jeff for instance, had no shoes or shirt and was carrying a brown-paper bag complete with bottle. Not even kidding. Security had us back on our way in no time.

A friend of mine is obsessed with making a Halloween costume so I tagged along hunting for the fabric stores. Shopping in town was excellent. We haven't yet had the chance to wander up and down Basseterre. We found a department store, a dollar store, hardware, fabric, and some cool clothing boutiques. These are pretty much hole-in-the wall, open only when they feel like it, but way cool stores. I'm fascinated by the random collection we acquired: housewares, clothes, costume supplies. 

We studied on the beach at Shipwreck's today. It's quiet, secluded, non-touristy. They have the best food and drinks and we can actually study without all the crowds and loud music, etc.

Catamaran trip tomorrow. I'll be driving home many a colleague I'm sure.  They take us snorkeling with hawksbills :D! Lunch on Nevis, the sister island which is notorious for Killer Bees.

St. Kitts & Nevis: It's Wuking

bye for now

lkc

No comments:

Post a Comment